[Ffmpeg-devel] Porting to TI DM642 DSP

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Apr 18 11:17:42 CEST 2005

Vincent Derrien wrote:
> Hi,

Please dont top-post.

> I was very interesting by your project. Can you give me aware about this
> please ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Patrick Noffke a ?crit :
>
>> I'd like to use the ffmpeg libraries on a TI DM642 DSP.  Can anyone
>> comment on the feasibility of doing this, and perhaps provide an
>> overview of the hurdles I need to overcome?   Initially, I see two
>> major challenges:
>>
>> 1)  Compiling -- I imagine #include statements will need to be
>> modified to work with TI's tools.  I would like to avoid major
>> modifications to the source with #ifdef statements (and I believe this
>> is the philosophy of ffmpeg developers).  Additionally, some types may
>> not be supported with TI's compiler.
>>
>> 2)  Optimization -- Initially, I just want to build without
>> optimization.  Then (assuming performance is less than great), I
>> intend to optimize certain primitives (e.g. DC T), preferrably by
>> using TI's versions of these primitives.
>>
>> Can anyone comment on the above two challenges (or others), and
>> recommend ways to overcome them?  Perhaps someone that ported to
>> another platform would be able to make some recommendations?

There is a 3rd hurdle: the LGPL forbids distribution of ffmpeg, modified
or not, in such a way that the user is not able to replace ffmpeg by a
newer version. That means you have to publish your patches, *and* source
or link-able binaries for your application, *and* instructions on how to
re-link (and with a DSP, probably flash an PROM) using some free
development system.

I realize this puts heavy constraints on using ffmpeg for embedded
systems, thereby actually inciting people to use proprietary rather than
open-source software on embedded systems. But currently, for ffmpeg,
LGPL is the only game in town...

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles