[Ffmpeg-devel] Porting to TI DM642 DSP

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Apr 19 04:23:59 CEST 2005

Hi

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 03:57, Patrick Noffke wrote:
> I agree with your comments with the following exception:
>
> The LGPL states (in section 6):
>
> ------------------
> For an executable, the required form of the "work that uses the Library"
> must include any data and utility programs needed for reproducing the
> executable from it. However, as a special exception, the materials to be
> distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in
> either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler,
> kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs,
> unless that component itself accompanies the executable.
> ------------------
>
> To me, this special exception means I am not obliged to distribute the
> tools to relink the application since they normally come with TI's Code
> Composer Studio (as does the O/S on which the application runs). Your
> statement of "using some free development system" therefore does not
> seem to be accurate.

yes though IANAL/IMHO/...

[...]

> > I realize this puts heavy constraints on using ffmpeg for embedded
> > systems, thereby actually inciting people to use proprietary rather
> > than open-source software on embedded systems. But currently, for
> > ffmpeg, LGPL is the only game in town...

why dont u simply say that its difficult to incorporate ffmpeg into a
proprietary product in such a way that the user looses all freedoms which the
LGPL should give her?
i cant see any relation to embedded systems

Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond