[Ffmpeg-devel] plug-n-play codecs support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Apr 30 12:39:37 CEST 2005

Hi

On Saturday 30 April 2005 11:19, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > >
> > > Many of the codecs share the core components, only the bit parsing
> > > being specific.  This means that the cost of each codec isn't as high
> > > as it might seem.
> >
> >   In addition i think it would be way more useful to make the codecs
> > selectable at compile time which is in the works if i understood
>
> the problem(?) is that they share a lot more.
> try to remove a codec file from Makefile, and see how many other
> codecs use some code from it. the libavcodec codecs has a lot
> cross-dependency on eachother, sharing small helper functions or
> sometimes even big parsers (with some if()'s inside to check codec type).

i think you overestimate the dependencies, AFAIK, the dependencies should be
mostly sane like that h263 based codecs need h263*.{c,h} dct/MC based codecs
need mpegvideo.{c,h}

Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond