[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: OT: cdrecord

Hauke Duden Hauke.Duden
Wed Aug 3 11:29:32 CEST 2005

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

>Cdrecord already prints the number times burnproof was used.  Even when
>burning with the source files on NFS over wireless LAN, and a loaded system,
>it is virtually never needed.  Modern burnerns have typically 8MB buffers,
>so there would have to be quite a bit going on for cdrecord to lose the CPU
>long enough to make a difference.

About 1,5 seconds at 40x. Not that long. Less when looking at DVDs (but
if I remember correct then cdrecord does not support DVD burning).

Also, CPU is usually not the problem. High disk load causes underruns
more often. For example, if the OS starts swapping large amounts of
memory underruns can happen easily. Highly fragmented disks can also
cause problems.

Interesting fact on the side: the DVD+R standard demands burnproof. You
cannot even switch it on or off anymore. So unless the standards
committee f**ed up (which is definitely possible, but I think they got
it right here) there must be something to it.

Hauke