[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Kenneth Lavrsen kenneth
Sat Aug 6 00:36:59 CEST 2005

Dear Developers of ffmpeg

ffmpeg is a very nice project from a technical point of view

But from the view of a developer and project maintainer of a project that
uses ffmpeg - the project is a nightmare.

My name is Kenneth Lavrsen. I maintain the project Motion which has been
using ffmpeg for years now. (yes please add to the list).

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

Motion is a software motion detector. Motion is a program that monitors the
video signal from one or more cameras and is able to detect if a
significant part of the picture has changed; in other words, it can detect
motion. Motion is a command line based tool whose output can be either
jpeg, ppm fies or mpeg video sequences. It is made for Linux and FreeBSD.

I am receiving almost daily support requests all releated to people having
problem building Motion with ffmpeg support. Besides the usual problem with
people not having the -devel RPMs installed the most common problem is that
they have downloaded the "latest CVS" of ffmpeg and get compilation errors.

And the answer is so often to install an older RPM or deb.

We try to keep up with the API changes in libavformat and libavcodec but
there is now so many #ifdef statements in the code that I have lost control.
This is highly depressing and time consuming and the minute I found a
useful alternative option I would stop using ffmpeg for Motion. And that is
sad.

So what is the problem? There are two:

Problem 1 and the most severe and EASY TO FIX
The problem is that you guys running the ffmpeg project seems to be very
little aware of the importance of very basic and simple software configuration
management.

 From your website: "New, official "releases" are few and far between. In
short, if you want to work with FFmpeg, you are advised to go along with
CVS development rather than relying on formal releases."  This is the key
problem. This is BAD ADVICE and a BAD POLICY. At least it is for the
libraries. Maybe this is acceptable for the command line tools which do not
change user interface that much and where the user adjustment is keying
something different. But for the libraries changing API all the time this
is a nightmare.

ffmpeg is used very widely. People have ffmpeg installed for other reasons
than Motion and often they cannot use those MUSEUM releases you have on the
Sourceforge download site which you make less than once per year and never
really fully do. The fact that 0.4.9pre1 never became 0.4.9 is rediculous.

As maintainer of a project that depends on libavcodec and libavformat:
Please make more formal releases! Please make a formal release every time
you add major new features.
The packagers such as Livna, AT and Dag - and the debian packagers will
then take these and package and 99% of the users will use these.
And I as Motion maintainer will ensure to have my software working against
the latest release.
I cannot do that today when the releases are so scarce.
And if that is too difficult for you to manage - then do the simplest of
solutions. Take the CVS snapshot from each end of a quarter and give it one
minor version number higher and upload it on Sourceforge. The daily snaps
you have now are not manageable. I cannot check daily if Motion no longer
works because of API changes or severe ffmpeg bugs.
At least with quarterly releases I could check and fix 4 times a year.

Please change this "latest CVS policy" and help both projects and packagers.

Problem 2. And I know you have heard this before.
Please document the API of the libraries!!!
The "look at the code example" is not sufficient. It is so dificult to code
against the libraries and each time you change the API it is a pain for us
to find out how to make our program work again and which #ifdef's to put in
the code so it is backwards compatible to older ffmpeg versions. The
Doxygen pages are not very useful. I might as well just try and read the code.

A last advice.
You should look at the Motion TWiki site. Making that was the best thing I
ever did for the project Motion. And it enables putting the burden of
maintaining API docs and users docs on many people incl users.
It has made maintaining release notes, maintaining and integrating patches
etc a very easy task. I have even given up using the Sourceforge tracker
because the TWiki applications I have made gives much more interaction and
collaboration and it gives me and the other coders more time to code.
Look at the links below how I have made the API docs for the pwc driver for
example. And for the Motion remote control API.

Regards
Kenneth Lavrsen

Project maintainer of Motion
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome
http://sourceforge.net/projects/motion/

Maintainer of the Wiki for the pwc driver
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/PWC/WebHome

API for Motion remote control
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionHttpAPI

  --