[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Aug 6 03:27:18 CEST 2005

Hi

On Saturday 06 August 2005 02:53, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > well, as diego said, include a ffmpeg snapshot in your application,
> > alternatively you could also help improving shared lib libav* support, we
> > have internal API version compatibility numbers they just arent part of
> > the soname yet as noone cares, people just complain
>
> to be honest if you did proper shared lib versioning you'd be up to
> libavcodec.so.50.0.0, or something so close...

yes, are you suggesting that you would prefer to hide the api version?

> The way shared libs work, the first version number should be changed
> when the API breaks,

yes

> this happens probably monthly with ffmpeg, this

hmm, i dont think so

> always makes me think perhaps either the API is too lowlevel, or just
> plain wrong..

its lowlevel because it has to be for performance reasons, write a high level
wraper or improve the api if it can be done without slowdown
and "wrong" well, i dont know what thats supposed to mean in relation to a API

Michael