[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Paul Curtis pfc
Sun Aug 7 02:17:25 CEST 2005

Dave Airlie wrote:

> The rest of the world doesn't statically link anything ever, dynamic
> linking works for every single library based project in existence
> today, and I'm asking the question what make ffmpeg different?

Ask the 'mplayer' developers why it's statically linked with ffmpeg.

It is the developers choice to have their project built anyway they
choose. If you don't like it, use something else. If there isn't
something else, fork it and create your own.

 > again for the final time I'll ask what makes ffmpeg so different?

The developers CHOSE to implement it this way. That's what makes it
different. It's a CHOICE. All developers make CHOICES when implementing
anything. Why do you think the ffmpeg developers have to do "what every
other open source library has been doing for ever"?

It has nothing to do with technology ... it has to do with making a
choice. These developers made a choice. If you don't like it, then don't
use libavformat/libavcodec. It's really that simple.

Regards,
Paul