[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel-old] Re: Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Tue Aug 9 11:56:56 CEST 2005

Burkhard Plaum wrote:

> That doesn't work, if you need (for whatever reason) dynamic linking.
> Furthermore, it's unneccesary labor, when dozens of projects upgrade their
> ffmpeg trees all the time. So why not save some energy (and installation
> disk space) where it makes sense?

Those project SHOULD keep their cvs in sync with ffmpeg if they plan to
use the latest and greatest, they could live with a dated one if they
are using just some bits that didn't change within the year... libav* is
a moving target for a reason, not just because is nice to break the ABI
now and then

> Wondering how many Gigs my linux would need if every gnome applet would be
> perfect enough to include and statically link gtk ;)

Doesn't make sense. BTW you have to update gtk+ in order to build the
latest and greatest gnome-applets.... Please think about how things work
and why you should or should not update (If Motion is perfectly happy
with a libavcodec why update to a later one? Just for security issues
that may or may not apply to it)

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero