[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: uninstall target

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu Aug 25 11:33:05 CEST 2005

Michel Bardiaux said:
> Rich Felker wrote:

>>>It's gotten MUCH better. pkg-config support and the fixes of some memleaks,
>>

>> Fixing memleaks isn't very useful when every upgrade breaks abi or
>> even api...! lavc just is not intended for use as a shared lib at this
>> time.
>
> But it is licensed as LGPL which means it is *supposed* to have a stable
> ABI!

Huh?  Licenses imply nothing whatsoever about API or ABI stability, or any
other usability factors.  Did you ever read the "as is" disclaimer?

> A general note on make uninstall: IMHO it has to be able to uninstall
> correctly *every* older version. Assume (just as example) libavutils
> goes away at one point, the make uninstall should still remove libavutil
> if it finds it. Maybe the make install should install the Makefile
> containing uninstall?

If you want automated removal, use a package manager.  Keeping a complete
history of anything that might ever have been installed in the makefile
is ridiculous.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com