[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: getting the frame-rate

Colin McKellar blibbler
Thu Aug 25 23:41:33 CEST 2005

On 25/08/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> > what happens if there are formats that do not have a constant image-size
> > any more ? will you remove the dimension-information from the API ??
>
> No. If it were a real issue, the image dimension information would be
> generalized in such a way as to _handle_ changing dimensions. (In such
> a stupid hypothetical situation...) Similarly this is what happened
> with framerate. The concept of framerate was generalized to time base
> in order to handle video without a framerate while still providing
> maximal information when there is a framerate.

I have had an mpeg1 movie change resolution. It was caused by
"resuming" a download on gnutella from a different file of the same
name.
Surprisingly, Quicktime played it back, and handled the resolution
change without incident.