[Ffmpeg-devel] Dr DivX OSS out with ffmpeg inside

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Dec 2 16:26:09 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:27:56PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:03:57PM +1100, Tim Allen wrote:
> > Colin Ward wrote:
> > >  What's with the anti-VC++ vibe on this list?  Surely you would want
> > >FFMPEG to be able to be compiled and run on as many systes as possible?
> > > Many people want to use VC++ and if the "fix" is small and harmless and
> > >enables these people to do that, then why not?
> >
> > Perhaps the FAQ entry on the subject needs to be longer :). Quick
> > summary is that the VC++ compiler does not support the C standard, and
> > it does not support the inline assembly used in ffmpeg.
> >
> > My guess is that if someone did come up with a patch that addressed all
> > the problems and wasn't too intrusive (which seems unlikely to be
> > possible, but let's be hypothetical :) ), it would be accepted. But none
> > of the core developers are interested in working on that, and who can
> > blame them? Especially given that mingw does the job perfectly adequately.
>
> exactly, maybe that should be added to the FAQ?

It now reads:

@section Visual C++ produces many errors.

Visual C++ is not compliant to the C standard and does not support the
inline assembly used in FFmpeg. If you wish - for whatever weird reason
- to use Visual C++ for your project then you can link the Visual C++
code with libav* as long as you compile the latter with a working C
compiler. For more information, see the @emph{Visual C++ compatibility}
section in the FFmpeg documentation.

There have been efforts to make FFmpeg compatible with Visual C++
in the past. However, they have all been rejected as too intrusive,
especially since MinGW does the job perfectly adequately. None of the
core developers work with Visual C++ and thus this item is low priority.
Should you find the silver bullet that solves this problem, feel free to
shoot it at us.

Diego