[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG4 streaming over RTP

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Thu Jul 21 15:54:15 CEST 2005

Hi all,

since I have the impression that the whole "MPEG4 over RTP" discussion
is going nowhere, I just tried to stream MPEG4 video by using ffmpeg.
With a trivial fix (see attached patch "mpeg4rtp.diff"), it works.

How to proceed:
1) apply mpeg4rtp.diff and compile ffmpeg with network support (not sure
if you have to disable ipv6 support or not...)
2) ./output_example test.m4v
3) ./ffmpeg -re -i test.m4v -vcodec copy -f rtp rtp://224.0.10.10:18888?multicast=1
4) ./ffplay pippo.sdp (the SDP file is attached to this mail)
5) enjoy :-)

Some notes:
1) In this example, global headers are included in the stream, so the
SDP file contains no "config" line
2) In this example, I do not use any rtp_mode or similar feature (sorry,
I do not know what it is nor how to use it :)
3) There are some frames that are split in more than 1 RTP packets, but
no visible artifacts are shown by ffplay nor by vlc
4) Who is the mantainer of the RTP code in libavformat? Does he thinks
that my patch can be applied? The current code looks wrong (if I
understand it correctly, it never sets the M bit). In my patch, I only
changed the rtp_send_raw() behaviour, but I suspect that all the other
rtp_send_<something> function should be fixed. I did not change them
because I do not want to break anything.

			Enjoy your streaming,
				Luca

 Sponsor:
 I bambini fanno "Oh", Gasolina, Angelo e tutte le migliori suonerie.
* La prima suoneria ? GRATIS!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=3540&d=21-7