[Ffmpeg-devel] PATCH colortrunc

Kris A. Wotipka kris
Mon Jul 25 15:26:32 CEST 2005

Marcus,

Thanks for your program.  I am 100% for "doing it right" and since I
can't look at code the way I look at a waveform meter yet I thank you
for your input.

A little more background to help the "video purest" minds.  Quality is a
big concern for me.  Just because the medium that I am currently having
to work with represents two levels above noise doesn't mean it will get
better in the future.  This facility (and a few more around the country
who are forced to use this equipment) is starting to get flooded with
first ammendment producers who are submitting DVD content.

The traditional way of converting them is to play the DVD as composite
NTSC and encode in (with this "system") as a 480x480 6Kbit CBR file.
The issue is not so much the real time encoding but the manpower to feed
dvd after dvd into the player.

I had written a script that would suck all of the necessary vob files
from the disk, convert the AC3 audio to MP2 and save it right into the
server.  This was a big improvement since the data could be taken off in
faster than real time for later process.

As for playback, the signal goes out on a very noisy RF carrier so
artifacts, small block errors and the like are barely noticed.  Out of
range chroma/luma however is very noticeable.

Even if this program takes a small hit in detail quality, it will buy me
some time so that I can properly research the correct methods.

I will be out of town on business for a while but will post the results
as soon as possible.  If you want to take this off list, my e-mail is
kris at wotipka (dot) com.

many thanks