[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG4 over TS

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Jun 1 18:29:17 CEST 2005

"Fernando Pescador" <pescador at sec.upm.es> writes:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to encapsulate a MPEG4 ES into a Transport Stream using the
> following command line
>
>         ffmpeg -i file.m4v file.ts
>
> The result is that the output file is generated with MPEG2 ES instead
> of MPEG4 ES. It's possible the generate a TS file including an MPEG4
> ES?

Use -vcodec mpeg4, but really, the libavformat TS muxer is badly
broken.  We're discussing how best to fix it at the moment.

> I have try an other option generating the TS-file with VLC instead
> of FFMPEG. The resulted file can't decoded by FFMPEG because the
> information of the video stream is included in a PMT packet (in a
> Special descriptor), and FFMPEG is not able to parse it. So my
> questions are....

VLC stores MPEG4 in TS incorrectly.

> 1) Is it possible to parse this PMT header with any option in the
> command line of FFMPEG?

The PMT is correct, the PES headers are wrong.  It's easy enough to
hack ffmpeg into reading them anyway, but you should complain to the
VLC team.

> 2) Is it possible to include this kind of information in the ES (or in
> any other place) instead of in a PMT header?

No.  That is the purpose of the PMT.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com