[Ffmpeg-devel] Patch for dynamic liba52.so loading

August Mayer amayer
Sat Jun 11 17:26:11 CEST 2005

There is an advantage if it's possible to dynamically load liba52 (and
libfaad). Say there is one commercial application (without source) that
uses the dynamically-loaded libavcodec.so . There is a second GPL
application that also uses libavcodec.so. Both applications could share
the binary library (e.g. Debian package), legally. But only the GPL
application would legally be allowed to use the AC-3 decoder.

I think the FSF explicitly states that GPL'ed dynamically-linked
libraries do extend their copyright to the code they are linked to, even
if this linking occurs at run-time (
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation ). This, in
reverse, is why it's somewhat of a dark-gray area to create binary
closed-source Linux kernel modules. The Linux kernel is GPL, thus it
extends this license to the loaded libraries. (However, "my home is my
castle" and "Where no plaintiff, there no judge").

greetings    August