[Ffmpeg-devel] sorenson 3?

blibbler blibbler
Mon Jun 13 20:19:51 CEST 2005

On 13/06/05, M?ns Rullg?rd <mru at inprovide.com> wrote:
> Marcus Engene <ffmpeg at engene.se> writes:
>
> > Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> > Yes, but I haven't managed to make it encode in Sorenson 3.
>
> Why would you want that?  H.264 is an open standard that compresses
> just as well.

I understand the Sorenson 3 is largely a modified/primitive H.264
implementation. Would it be possible to modify the current H.264
encoder to encode svq3? In practice, I can't see much use from this as
Quicktime 7 supports H264, however it might be useful for
compatibility with older versions of Quicktime, or machines that would
not be able to decode full H.264.