[Ffmpeg-devel] Seeking on a live stream

Andy Parkins andyparkins
Fri Jun 17 18:08:48 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm using ffmpeg to record a live MPEG4 stream.  This is working well.
However, when I try to play back the stream - with say ffplay - I can't seek
properly.  The problem, I believe, is that the file is still open and so
hasn't had whatever headers/trailers that are needed written to it yet.

My question then is what output format should I be using?  I'd like to be able
to view the stream "live" but still seek backwards in time.  A bit like a
TiVo or similar.

I've tried a few different formats and have also tried calling
av_seek_frame_binary() but after a bit of investigation find that very few
formats actually support av_seek_frame_binary() because they don't implement
read_timestamp().  Oh dear.  I'm sure I can't be the only person in the world
wanting to seek on a live stream - so I'm fairly convinced I'm missing
something obvious; my apologies for my ignorance :-)

Thanks in advance

Andy

--
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (hons), AMIEE