[Ffmpeg-devel] Seeking on a live stream

Erik Slagter erik
Fri Jun 17 18:49:51 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 09:40 -0700, Bill May wrote:

> > Better not use avi at all, but I guess (as usual) that's out of the
> > question because it needs to be erhm... compatible with windows, right?
>
> It's the same problem with mp4 files, as well.  The moov header,
> which contains all the information about what's in the stream, is
> usually written when recording ends.

The difference is that some player do play "unfinalised" mp4 stream
fine, these get the stream info by other means (dirrrrty...;-))

Using avi the player will always need to make index.

> You'd need to be finalizing the complete movie after each frame, including
> hinting, if you use .mp4 files.  .mpg files (which then wouldn't be
> streamed using RTP) could be used.

I guess you mean program or transport streams. That would be a
possibility. Problem is: next to none player support mpeg4 in programs
streams. Mpeg4 in transport stream is a bit better supported iirc, but
also has a lot more overhead. Also I am already ducking for the people
that will start flaming about timestamps being reset at random times ;-)