[Ffmpeg-devel] Apple h264 compatibility

Gianluigi Tiesi mplayer
Sun Jun 19 17:53:49 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 04:00:59PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Gianluigi Tiesi <mplayer at netfarm.it> writes:
>
> > I've just tried some apple h264 samples, since the x264 decoder
> > is internal to ffmpeg I'm posting here but I could forward the request
> > directly to x264 ml if needed.
>
> This is the right place.  The lavc h264 decoder is entirely separate
> from x264, although some of the same people work on both.
>
> > Anyway I've downloaded some great samples from:
> > http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgallery/
> >
> > the quicktime decoder is very sloppy I think it need a cray to decode
> > the video, but mplayer plays it very fast, the problem is some sort of
> > incompatibilities but I think they are not so difficult to fix since
> > the movie is almost played well, there are some glitches, the debug
> > shows some errors for me:
>
> Do all the trailers have those errors, or just some?

It really seams that problems comes when the cpu has some difficult
to decode the video, serenity_m1080p.mov is almost frozen,
but fantastic_four_m420p.mov works fine,
wildlifehd works untile the video becomes more complex,
also if I move the mplayer window (blocking the decoder thread)
a bunch of errors are displayed.
Error are the same only values are different, at this point,
I think it's not directly a decoder problem, but rather to the part
of decoder that should handle dropped frames.
Anyway I prefer some garbled stuff than freeze all my pc using quicktime7 ;)

Bye

--
Gianluigi Tiesi <sherpya at netfarm.it>
EDP Project Leader