[Ffmpeg-devel] Speex proposed addition to ffmpeg and suggestions

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Thu Jun 23 10:35:19 CEST 2005

Dario Andrade wrote:
> So glad you've mentioned, since I have done something I use it for my own
> purposes.
> You're right, the reception to such a project was somewhat a little radical,
> then I decided to keep it private. (Anyway, doing a native decoder did not
> make sense to me. Speex is evolving really fast with tons of ports to DSP
> chips and an included fixed point version, if needed).

I agree. IMHO the only sensible approach to a 'native' codec would be to
hook the cvs-co tree of speex *in* the cvs-co tree of ffmpeg (just like
mplayer does w.r.t. ffmpeg). Opinions from the core?

> Do you have the interest in it?

> I have only a few issues that I needed to
> clarify, such as:
> 4) In order for the speex codec to interpolate frames (in case of a lost
>
>>>packet), I am expecting NULL to the "buf" parameter when decoding it.
>>>That will create a single interpolated frame with no bytes consumed. May
>>>I do that? Or should I just use the "flush" function for that?
>

> The avcodec API does not specify a way for user to create a "lost frame"
> (codec dependent interpolated frame). What do you think about that? (I guess
> nobody will ever pass NULL to that function anyway).

A NULL buffer to avcodec_decode_video requests the codec to output
delayed frames (e.g. after a IBP in presentation order, thus IPB in
stream order, decode returns image[the I]/nothing/image[the B] then you
have to call decode again with a null buffer to get the P. I dont know
what a NULL buffer is supposed to mean to an audio codec. But its no big
issue to me, since AAMOF I take great care there is no lost frame in any
of my files!

Which one gets from www.speex.org I guess, but which version?

> one should add:

Could you please repost this as a 'cvs diff -du', *attached*? Also, some
usage eaxmples; esp. when using -acodec speex, what format (ogg?) and
what are recommended or mandatory parameters, like sample rate, is
stereo allowed, range of bitrates,...

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles