[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [PATH] enable-libgsm not working

Alban Bedel albeu
Thu Jun 23 17:19:18 CEST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:16:08 +0200
Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at peaktime.be> wrote:

> Alban Bedel wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:21:37 +0200
> > Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at peaktime.be> wrote:

> >>Could be, I dont use any other distro so I cant check. I modelled my
> >>changes on what was already in lavc for mp3lame, and that matched what
> >>happens with debian.

> >>I have gsm from sources too (now switching to distros because libgsm
> >>seems very stable now). gsm.h comes in subdirectory 'inc'. I didnt use
> >>'make install'.
> >

> > Neither did I and that the problem. Their default is so broken that we
> > can't expect it to be used. It's then perhaps better to tweak configure
> > to check both case and add the correct -I if needed. Or blindly add
> > -I/usr/include/gsm -I/usr/local/include/gsm ;)
> >
> > 	Albeu
>
> No. What is good for mp3lame (and vorbis, and ogg, and theora) should be
> good for libgsm. And a configure that tries to be smart is a recipe for
> disaster (if it werent we would be autotooled all the way...) But since
> the broken stuff is actually the make install in the gsm source distro,
> maybe configure could issue a message to the effect that gsm.h and
> libgsm.so are expected at such-and-such place.

I know very well why ffmpeg doesn't use auto* no need to get on that kind
of rant. Still nothing prevent a simple test like there is for freetype or
sdl.

Otherwise I checked some other prog, they use gsm.h, and the rpm install it in
/usr/include. imho it is anyway no good idea to put gsm/gsm.h in the include
bcs it force everybody to have such a directory.

	Albeu