[Ffmpeg-devel] lzw gif

Marcus Engene ffmpeg
Thu Jun 23 23:06:42 CEST 2005

Hi list,

If I make a gif anim with ffmpeg the outfile is rather large.
Looking at the source I see that there is no compression
enabled due to patent issues. This really isn't a problem
anymore, right? The Unisys patent has expired in all
places now?

Would a patch to enable it be accepted? It wouldn't be
that much work to add since there is an (optional?) linkage
to zlib, right?

Is it a point in reality except for disk space? Enabling
gzip on apache (in the case of web usage) would return
similair results? Any opinions?

Best regards,