[Ffmpeg-devel] List of output formats/codecs?

Martin Boehme boehme
Wed Jun 29 10:18:23 CEST 2005

Hi Ian,

> Howdy, I'm working on integrating FFMpeg into another application, and I
> was wondering if there is a way to get a list of usable output formats and
> encoders at runtime,

first_avcodec (declared in avcodec.h) points to a linked list of codecs.
Similarly, first_iformat and first_oformat (declared in avformat.h)
point to linked lists of input and output formats. For examples of how
to walk these lists, see the code for avcodec_find_encoder()
(libavcodec/utils.c), av_find_input_format() and guess_format() (both
libavformat/utils.c).

> and possibly(this is probably a long shot) what pixel
> formats are valid with the combination of an encoder/container.

The pix_fmts element of the AVCodec structure points to an array of
pixel formats supported by the codec -- for most codecs, this is
PIX_FMT_YUV420P.

HTH

Martin

--