[Ffmpeg-devel] 0.4.9-pre2?

Jacob Meuser jakemsr
Wed Jun 29 20:52:56 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:17:20AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wednesday 29 June 2005 05:54, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> [...]
> > > well, heres a suggested list (comments welcome)
> > > 1. announce it 1 week ahead on the mailinglist so that whoever wants to
> > > see something fixed before the release can fix it
> >
> > might not hurt to take the latest snapshot, rename it to "beta",
> > tell people this will be the next release, except for fixes,
> > and ask for heavy testing.  "If you don't test, you can't
> > complain ...".  the buzzword thing actually does get people
> > motivated.
>
> its not only testing thats needed but also someone who is willing to fix the
> found issues, if the later is not avilable in a large enough amount the extra
> testing becomes less usefull unless of course you delay the release for
> months stop all development and force the few developers around to fix bugs
> they dont care about but thats not something i would like to see happening

yes.  that's why I mentioned that a lot of people are using CVS
and there don't seem to be (m)any major issues.  so, the testing
is already happening.  I was thinking more along the lines of
fixing possible issues with compilation on various platforms.

> > > 2. update Changelog / INSTALL / README files if needed
> > > 3. update version information in various files
> > > 4. if there are any big problems here or later delay or return to a
> > > previous step
> > > 5. take a cvs checkout
> >
> > hmmm.  IMO, it would be good to slow down (more or less stop, except
> > for fixing known issues) commits to the sources while the beta is
> > "in testing".
>
> well, i disagree, its sure a bad idea to do some big or risky changes shortly
> before a release but a "you may not change anything except fixing release
> critical bugs" is silly it tries to fix a problem which isnt real, if someone
> disagrees i would like to hear some examples of non bugfix changes shortly
> before a release which broke things
> one possibility would be to fork and apply a strict no non bugfix changes rule
> to that and iam happy with this if whoever takes care of the release wants it
> but i doubt its a good idea

I agree.  I was thinking of like 7-10 days total "slow down" time.  I
don't think that is all that long.  also, it doesn't mean that developers
need to stop what they are working on, just don't commit big changes in
that time.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>