[Ffmpeg-devel] H.264 Mini Press Release

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri May 6 15:39:59 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 10:51:03PM -0600, Mike Melanson wrote:
> 	I put a shameless little self-promotion news piece of FFmpeg's
> frontpage. Check it out.

I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade, but our support for those
videos is currently severely limited due to performance reasons.

OK, my 500MHz K6-III is probably never going to play such a high
resolution video (video decoding takes 400% CPU), but audio decoding
alone takes about 50% CPU time on that machine.  Even my 1.5GHz G4
cannot play it fluidly, it's more like a slideshow :-(  QT7 works fine
on that same machine.  Which leads to the question what kind of machine
you need to enjoy this content and how the proprietary players compare.

IOW, there's still some work left to do...

Diego