[Ffmpeg-devel] ratecontrol advice

Matthew Hodgson matthew
Tue May 10 04:46:21 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to use libavcodec to 1-pass encode an h.263 stream which has
limits on both the maximum size-per-picture and total datarate.  I can't
work out what the right way is to respect both limitations using the
ratecontrol settings, whilst maintaining the best possible QP for any
given frame (so long as it doesn't end up larger than X bytes - or push
the total datarate for over Y kbits/s).

I assume I can do this with a custom rc_eq formula and/or adjusting
qcompress - but I can't see an obvious formula for capping the
picture-size.  Alternatively, is there another way to force ffmpeg to
adjust the qp so that pictures are never larger than a given size?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated indeed :)

cheers;

Matthew