[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ss][Nn][Oo][Ww] spelling^wbranding

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu May 12 20:58:55 CEST 2005

Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

>>>	We already do, and will continue to do so.
>> I was of the impression that most codecs had names like mpeg4,
>> vorbis, or some other text string, not a number.
>
> 	Oh, I understand. The name of the codec is "Vorbis", "MPEG-4",
> 	etc. Codec "0x42" would never make sense. However, in the
> 	transport formats (AVI/MOV/Real/MPEG), they are identified by
> 	numbers.

Yes, that's how it's commonly done.

> 	I hope you are not recommending they be identified with text
> 	strings?

At least matroska does this.  Ogg is totally ad hoc, as we know.

> 	That seems like more string manipulation hassle than is
> 	warranted.

Comparing strings or comparing numbers, all the same to me.  It's only
done once during header parsing anyway, so I don't think it really
matters much.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com