[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ss][Nn][Oo][Ww] spelling^wbranding

Martin Boehme boehme
Fri May 13 16:14:20 CEST 2005

Erik Slagter wrote:
> What really puzzles me is that those "caps-only" terminals probably
> already where using ASCII (yeah, caps ;-)). This means that inputting
> lower-case characters only needed a shift/caps key on the keyboard. For
> output, 26 extra entries in character generator rom would be necessary.
> I can hardly believe that was taking that much space it wouldn't fit in
> the rom.

Well, it seems the early versions of both ASCII and EBCDIC didn't
support lower-case characters -- so the terminals wouldn't have, either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascii
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC

Of course, that just shifts the question to why did the designers of
ASCII and EBCDIC go for upper-case only instead of lower-case only...

Martin

--
Martin B?hme
Inst. f. Neuro- and Bioinformatics