[Ffmpeg-devel] switch to svn

Steve Lhomme slhomme
Tue Nov 1 08:48:48 CET 2005

SVN can use external source of files too, via the svn:external
properties. But AFAIK it can only do it from other SVN sources. But
that's very convenient in some cases. Not sure that's what you're
looking for.

-----Original Message-----
From: ffmpeg-devel-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:ffmpeg-devel-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Joshua Varner
Sent: lundi 31 octobre 2005 18:15
To: FFMpeg development discussions and patches
Subject: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] switch to svn

On 10/30/05, matthieu castet <castet.matthieu at free.fr> wrote:
> Attila Kinali wrote:
> >
> >>* merging stuff, so for example we can import the cvs or svn of lets
say
> >>libmpeg2 into mplayer while preserving the history, with cvs thats
easy

> > I dont know whether it is possible to merge svn repos into
> > svn, but it's possible with cvs repos, given that the repo files
> > are available.
> >
> I think he wants something like cp :
>
> copy (cp): Duplicate something in working copy or repository,
> remembering history.
> usage: copy SRC DST
>
>    SRC and DST can each be either a working copy (WC) path or URL:
>      WC  -> WC:   copy and schedule for addition (with history)
>      WC  -> URL:  immediately commit a copy of WC to URL
>      URL -> WC:   check out URL into WC, schedule for addition
>      URL -> URL:  complete server-side copy;  used to branch & tag

You cannot svn cp between repositories, but if you want to merge two
repositories it is possible. You dump both repositories to dump files,
then merge them with the ReposMerge script (svndumpfilter will allow
you to change the pathnames in either repos before merging), then
load the merged file into a new repository.

Currently this operation has to be done with command line tools, while
the repository is unavailable. You could just load the other repository
into the current one, but that breaks data based commands, Repos
merge will interleave the commits from the two repositories so that
date ordering is preserved. It is more complex to do with svn, but
that's
b/c svn versions the trees, not just the files.

See this thread:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/BrowseList?list=users&by=thread&fr
om=364510

Josh