[Ffmpeg-devel] request for information about timecode indexing

Eric Z ezsomething
Tue Nov 8 10:59:46 CET 2005

I want to pre-index a library of files so that quick
splicing/transcoding can be accomplished.  Although my media is mostly
MPEG1, I would like to avoid re-parsing the streams (which can be
anywhere from 15min to 2hours long) for any of the transcoding
operations.

I have read a bit of the archive list and found several discussions
about getting the correct timecode within various stream types.
However, if possible, I want to stay one layer above actually getting
into the codec so that I can create generic index files.  These files
can reside somewhere handy so that subsequent program invocations
don't have to do all the seek-work again.

Since this is my first foray into avcodec code specifically, any
pointers on where to start looking, or a magical flag that does this
already would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric