[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ffmpeg-devel-old] why not have h264 encoder in the libavcodec?

Maarten Daniels maarten.daniels
Tue Nov 8 14:27:08 CET 2005

Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> On 8-nov-2005, at 11:03, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>>> because there's the x264 project: http://developers.videolan.org/
>>> x264.html
>> Which has the wrong license.
> You mean:
> Which has a license not allowing me to use this code in my commercial
> program.
> So far nobody has been kind enough I guess to write a libavcodec LGPL
> version of the encoder.

Is it necessary that the whole encoder needs to be rewritten using LGPL
as a license or can (parts or whole of) the x264 encoder be
"relicensed"? Maybe this isn't completely the right place to ask, but
here it will reach a larger crowd than other mailinglists and it's a
fact that some x264 developers hang around here.

> The H264 codec is quite complicated, and I think it will still take
> some time before someone writes a GPL version of the codec. It's  still
> a lot of work i suspect.

I think quite some people are willing to spend time on improving and
testing the H264 encoder if the license is changed to LGPL.

Kind regards,