[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ffmpeg-devel-old] why not have h264 encoder in the libavcodec?

François Revol revol
Tue Nov 8 16:43:57 CET 2005

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:37:27PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:27:08PM +0100, Maarten Daniels wrote:
> > >
> > > I think quite some people are willing to spend time on improving
> > > and
> > > testing the H264 encoder if the license is changed to LGPL.
> >
> > I have seen some people here claim that the LGPL is the "better"
> > license
> > and argue in favor of having everything LGPL.  I have, however, not
> > seen
> > them contribute more than 5 lines of code.
>
> Exactly. Because LGPL is the license of leechers who want to make
> proprietary software using other people's hard work, and GPL is the
> license of people who want free software to make proprietary software
> obsolete.

Real leachers don't care about the licence, else they would pay for
their CDs and DVDs.

LGPL also allows using code in other *Free softwares* that aren't under
GPL.
Need I remind you that FreeSoftware != GPL ?
BSD also is a Free Software licence.
But because the GPL is "self-centered" (or how could I say selfish
without saying so ?) it doesn't allow other licences to join in, except
by being assimilated.

Haiku is under the BSD/MIT licence, and so is Free Software, and is
able to use libavcodec as a Media Kit addon because it is LGPL. Else it
would not be as easier (depending on how you understand the
colonisation clauses of the GPL, but indeed the problem is nobody
understands it like eveyrone else, and it's likely not even lawyers do
:P).

exec trolls >/dev/null

Fran?ois.