[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] patent madness

Tim Allen tim
Tue Nov 8 21:00:34 CET 2005

Mike Melanson wrote:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
>> In case anyone had missed it, check US patent application 20050244804.
>> Abstract follows.  I say it's scary.
>>
>>     Process of relaying a story having a unique plot
>

>     Scary? Nah. I can't wait to see the ensuing legal battle when the
> patent is awarded and the inventor sues Hollywood for all its worth. The
> defendant would be left with no choice but to admit that none its movie
> plots are unique!

Presumably exactly that is the point. Hollywood and US television have
about five plots between them. If these people claim to have devised
another one, that increases the plot scope of Hollywood by a substantial
fraction, which _obviously_ must entitle them to earn megabucks in
monopoly rents...

Tim