[Ffmpeg-devel] libavcodec + IPP

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Tue Nov 8 22:01:30 CET 2005

On 11/8/05, Bj?rn Ard? <bjorn.ardo at gasoptics.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have done some performance tests with libavcodec on an intel pentium 4
> CPU uncompressing a mpeg 2 video stream.
> We noticed that we could replace the idct algoritm with the corresponding
> IPP function. This increased the performance by about 10% compared to the
> MMX2 version in libavcodec (FF_IDCT_LIBMPEG2MMX). It seems that libavcodec
> is already prepared to use IPP functions but that it is not implemented yet
> (apart from the arm4l architecture).
> Our question is the following. Is it of interest that we add support for IPP
> idct algorithms to libavcodec for i386 platforms? If so, should we add it to
> the dsputil_mmx.c file (like it is done in dsputil_arm.c) or create another
> file (say dsputil_ipp.c) with this?

For those of you who, like me, did not know IPP stated for, here's what it is:

To put it in a nutshell: it's a library which features a bunch of
highly proprietary but hand-tuned code to speed-up CPU intensive
applications. There is a non-commercial licence available for those
baby for anyone who's interested.

Reading doesn't hurt, really!
  -- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski