[Ffmpeg-devel] MP3 / WMA file conversion problems...

David Price dprice
Fri Nov 11 00:34:38 CET 2005

I had a permissions problem - the files were readable only by the owner, and
since they were uploaded via apache, I wasn't the owner.

I can now read the files.  I also found and installed "lame" on my server so
I think I am making progress.

Now I just need to figure out the options to be able to convert to FLV
files.

Has anyone else done this (audio only conversion from wma/mp3, etc. to flash
FLV format)?

Thanks,

-Dave P.

-----Original Message-----
From: ffmpeg-devel-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:ffmpeg-devel-bounces at mplayerhq.hu]On Behalf Of David Price
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:26 PM
To: ffmpeg-devel at mplayerhq.hu
Subject: [Ffmpeg-devel] MP3 / WMA file conversion problems...

I am a first time user of ffmpeg, and I am having some problems getting
started.  My purpose in getting ffmpeg is to provide a web-enabled
conversion of audio files for a website (the idea is to convert from several
types of files to a consistent Flash supported format for a flash driven
slideshow / photo album).

I downloaded the latest code from cvs yesterday, ran 'configure', 'make',
then 'make install' and all seemed to go well.  However ffmpeg doesn't seem
to be able to recognize the files I am using (one is MP3, the other is WMA -
both download and play from my server without any problem).

Here is what I am trying:

ffmpeg -i *.wma
ffmpeg version CVS, build 3277056, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
  configuration:
  built on Nov  9 2005 20:12:50, gcc: 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)
emp_dap_031998_56k_audio.wma: I/O error occured
Usually that means that input file is truncated and/or corrupted.

I have noticed other posts that have recommended installing lame first, then
rebuiding so I tried that (I am on Suse Linux 9.1 and I installed glame
which came with the distribution), but that resulted in compilation errors
after I did a "make distclean" and reconfigured.

Have I missed something obvious?

Are there supporting packages I need to install to get ffmpeg to work?

Thanks for any help,

-Dave P.