[Ffmpeg-devel] one slice at the time rendering w/o callback

Ivo ivop
Sun Nov 13 18:44:22 CET 2005

Hi,

I was looking into a way to have avcodec render one slice at the time
without making use of the draw_horiz_band callback. IIC, that's currently
not possible. I would like to have a uniform api, i.e. request a slice,
process it, request next slice, etc... similar to requesting a full frame
in non-sliced mode.

Now my question is, which way should I go? I see several options:

1) add a new function to AVCodec and have an implementation for all codecs
that do slices, plus add an avcodec_decode_video like wrapper in utils.c
(avdecode_decode_video_slice or something)

2) add a 'one-slice-at-the-time' flag to AVCodec, and have the caller call
avcodec_decode_video multiple times

3) something else I haven't thought of?

I thought I'd ask here first, before I waste my time on an ugly hack that
won't ever get accepted. What do you think?

--Ivo