[Ffmpeg-devel] mpeg4 stream decoding

Stephen DiVerdi sdiverdi
Sun Nov 20 11:46:58 CET 2005

hello, i just joined the list as i'm using ffmpeg to handle
encoding/decoding a video stream for live streaming over a network, and
i've run into a problem.  i'd like to use mpeg4 for the transfer format,
but according to the apiexample.c file's comments, the mpeg4 codec
requires that encoded data is passed to avcodec_decode_video exactly one
frame at a time - that is, that the incoming data is broken on frame
boundaries.  of course, there's no way to know that without parsing the
encoded data itself, which is what i wanted ffmpeg to do for me. =)

based on what's in avcodec.h, it looks like AVCodecParser is what i need
to interpret the encoded video data and tell me where the frame boundaries
are so i can break it up properly, but there's no documentation i can find
anywhere on how to use the parser functions.  specifically, the function

int av_parser_parse(AVCodecParserContext *s,
                     AVCodecContext *avctx,
                     uint8_t **poutbuf, int *poutbuf_size,
                     const uint8_t *buf, int buf_size,
                     int64_t pts, int64_t dts);

seems to be the meat of it, and i can't tell what to pass in for pts or
dts, or how to interpret the results in poutbuf and poutbuf_size.  can
anyone explain how this works, or send along some example code or
something to clear it up for me?  or let me know if i'm way off base here?
i'd appreciate it very much!

thanks,

-steve diverdi
-sdiverdi at cs.ucsb.edu