[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: mp3onmp4

Gábor Farkas gabor
Sun Nov 20 22:20:07 CET 2005

Mike Melanson wrote:

>>> ffmpeg -i in.avi -acodec copy -vcodec copy out.mp4
>>

>> I remember that I couldn't vcodec copy a an mpeg4 stream from one
>> container to another, I had to reencode it. Otherwide it didn't play
>> in Quicktime then.
>>
>> Maybe this has changed by now.
>
>     Doubtful. I wager the MPEG-4 "extradata" is not being properly
> retained between formats.

just to jump in here..

yesterday i spent several hours trying to remux an mpeg4+mp3 avi file
into an mp4 container, which should theoretically be possible.

i tried ffmpegx (which uses ffmpeg afaik), mpeg4ip, gpac....

the best i was able to achieve was to have it working with mpeg4-only.

so, if anyone has a working example of putting mp3 audio into an mp4
container, where the created file is playable with the quicktime-player,
please tell me.

(for now i'll just instruct everyone to download vlc for their platform
and play the avi file :)

gabor