[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: mp3onmp4

bond b-o-n-d
Mon Nov 21 13:14:29 CET 2005

> bond wrote:
> > its indeed possible to mux mp3 audio into the .mp4 container (which is
not
> > the same as .mov)
>
> True. .mp4 is a .mov with a few extensions that are "open" as long as
> you pay enough money to the right people.

thats not true, as the .mp4 container is license free

> > there are two tools existing allowing you to do this 100% spec
compliant,
> > that is mp4box from the gpac project and mp4creator from the mpeg4ip
project
> > yes, ffmpeg can NOT do this correctly
>
> You mean two "open source" tools, I hope. I tend to think Apple as a
> few tools that do the right thing as well.

yes, they are opensource. i dont know any good .mp4 muxing tool from apple
(this includes qt7, which even cant mux multichannel aac into .mp4)

> > people have to differentiate between .mov and .mp4
> > there are not "few ways" for placing mp3 in mp4, there is only one
defined
> > in the mpeg-4 specs
> > as already mentioned its done by using "mp4a". not the here mentioned
"'ms'
> > + 0x0055 (CBR) or '.mp3' (VBR)"
>
> Don't knock it 'till you try it. I think the 2 .mov MP3 encapsulations
> along with MPEG-4 video would be accepted my QT Player, though I am not
> set up to verify it right now.

well we were talking here about the MP4 container and not about MOV. the
mpeg-4 standard is clear on how mp3 has to be stored in mp4 and thats the
only thing that counts, not if qt handles the file or not...

> > i hope you are joking? qt is definitely not the gold standard when it
comes
> > to mpeg-4 (and this includes the .mp4 container). qt handles as good as
> > nothing you can do with .mp4 and this includes mp3 which it doesnt
handle in
> > .mp4
>
> Apple is a big backer of these MPEG standards. When I think of an
> official MPEG-4 multimedia player, I think of Apple's QuickTime Player.
> Do you have a better reference?

as i said the qt player is not a mpeg-4 reference as it doesnt handle most
of the things defined in mpeg-4
it doesnt handle mpeg-4 part2 advanced simple profile streams (meaning
b-frames, qpel, gmc, custom quantisation aso....)
it doesnt handle avc high profile
it doesnt handle mpeg-4 aac multichannel streams in mp4
it doesnt handle mpeg-2 aac in mp4
it doesnt handle he-aac or ps-aac streams
it doesnt handle mpeg-4 part17 text streams in mp4
it doesnt handle mpeg-1 audio (mp1 - mp3) in mp4
it doesnt handle mpeg-4 systems

the only things it handles regarding mp4 is
part2 simple profile
avc main profile (and that not completely, eg no interlacing or arbitrary
frame orders)
mono/stereo aac

qt is definitely not a reference mpeg-4 player, its more a totally limited
one. dont believe the ads