[Ffmpeg-devel] rtp and h263 - please help...

Zoltan NAGY nagyz
Mon Nov 21 22:39:39 CET 2005

I'm really needing your help, guys, 'cause I cant
figure it out...

I have a monitor port on a switch, and there's two machines:
A streams to B a h263 video using RTP.
I'd have to check the video streamed between the two machines, but I've
tried everyhing came into mind, without a success.
I've written a little app that ripps off the rtp header, and then "dumps"
the raw rtp payload into a file.
if I do "ffplay rawdata" then ffplay sais it's in unknown format.
I've tried "ffplay -f h263 rawdata", again without a success.

now, I've checked out the h263 packetization rfc, but it sais
it should be just the plain data following the rtp header.

Precisely, it sais:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   |                 RTP header                                    |
   |                 H.263 payload header                          |
   |                 H.263 bitstream                               |

now, whether I remove the h263 payload header or not - it doesnt
make a difference.

so my question is: how can I play this stream with ffmpeg?

(I have the relevant sdp file, but as I said, I only have a monitor port
on the switch, and this sdp file wont be here always..
and anyway, here it is:
o=- 2837926477 2837271097 IN IP4
c=IN IP4
t=0 0
m=video 8558 RTP/AVP 96
a=rtpmap:96 H263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:96 profile=0; level=10
a=framesize:96 176-144

should I see any relevant info in it?

thanks for your help!
it's really really really kindly appriciated...

Zoltan NAGY,
Software Engineer