[Ffmpeg-devel] Legal questions...

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje
Tue Oct 4 16:47:46 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 14:49 +0200, Mat wrote:
> So you think that in the mini-legal FAQ of FFmpeg (
> http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/legal.php ), the last questions is for
> America and for others countries with software patents, right?

No. European companies in European countries also pay royalties. We may
not have official software patents in Europe, most of the countries
still have them at a national level one way or another (sad but true).

Better get used to it: MPEG *is* owned by companies. You *do* owe them
royalties, through MPEG-LA. If you don't want that, don't use MPEG.