[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Codec

Rich Felker dalias
Wed Oct 5 01:13:17 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:30:09PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

> >> Highly overhyped rumor, it actually runs on all platforms... that
> >> have a JVM.
> >
> > 	Right, both of them. :) Funny essay on the matter:
> >
> >    http://web.ivy.net/~carton/academia/java_languageoftomorrow.html
> >
> > I was joking of course; I would not expect anyone to use Java for
> > serious cross-platform work.
>
> Recently, Java has become usable in the situations it was originally
> intended for, i.e. cell phones, set top boxes, etc.  These
> environments are much less diversified than PCs, and Java applications
> can actually be truly portable between, for instance, cell phones of
> different makes, using different architectures.

I guarantee you, a cell phone running everything in java will have 1/2
the battery life (or worse) of a phone with equivalent functionality
all implemented in native code, all other factors being equal. Using
java for mobile devices is completely idiotic. If you want
portability, use C and ./configure && make && make install ... :)

> Implementing a video codec in Java still makes no sense at all, of
> course.

At least we can agree upon this.. :)

Rich