[Ffmpeg-devel] Enhanced FLIC Decoder

mplayer at sakuraindustries.com mplayer
Sat Oct 8 01:24:22 CEST 2005

Mike Melanson wrote:

> Steven Johnson wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Attached is my first patch against FFMPEG.
>

>     Welcome to the family.

Thanks.

>> It provides for support of 15bpp FLX files (as generated) by Ulead
>> Media Studio Pro, and probably other programs.
>> It provides for support of the 15bpp/16bpp better compressed FLX
>> files, with the extensions created by Daves Targa Animator [DTA] (a
>> program from the early 90's).
>>
>> Ive tested it against FLX's from Ulead.  And FLX with DTA extensions
>> from EGI V4.00. (The only current programs I know that generate these
>> files).
>

>     Thanks for the patch. What we really need now are samples to test
> and verify. Can you provide samples for download? If you have no
> public space, let us know and we can set up a place for you to send
> them (please do NOT send them to the list).

Yes, I can provide samples.  Im flying out of my home country on
business tomorrow, for 2 1/2 weeks.  I wont get time to put any samples
up until I get back (Around the 26th of October.)

Another way to test is to download the evaluation version of EGI, from
http://www.compuphase.com/software_egi.htm.  It allows you to make the
16Bpp DTA Variant (Which is how i tested it), from a sequence of tga
files.  So what i did was used MPlayer to output a movie to tga files,
and then used this EGI Program to re-encode them.   (EGI only runs under
Windows, and the eval version puts a big Banner across your animation,
but its useful for testing purposes).

I will do this when I get back and put a bunch of test animations up on
my site, and post the links. As well as the same animations encoded as
15Bpp FLX files by ULead Media Studio Pro.

Are there any "Standard" or "preferred" movie/animation sequences that
FFMPeg is tested against, because i could easily re-encode them for
testing.  If so, could someone point me at them.

>> Why would one do this.  Well its not the worlds best codec, thats for
>

>     You don't need to make excuses. No codec is too obscure for us. :)

Thats good to hear.

Steven