[Ffmpeg-devel] specific codec question

Mike Melanson mike
Wed Oct 12 18:42:01 CEST 2005

Bram Biesbrouck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a codec that doesn't need a fixed (or minimal) number of
> frames per second? To be specific: I'm looking for a codec that accepts a new
> frame (or maybe just an update rectangle?) when something changed in the
> previous one. So when nothing changes for 5 sec, it doesn't need a new frame,
> it just displays the last one.

	Macromedia Flash, perhaps? Aside from that, there are some custom
codecs that are designed for this type of application. For example, Duck
Truemotion 1 was supposed to have sprite modes. It seems to me that even
MPEG-4 has provisions for sprites. How well this is supported is another
question.

--
	-Mike Melanson