[Ffmpeg-devel] mpeg4 avi, corrupted frames when CODEC_FLAG_TRUNCATED is set

Colin Ward lists
Fri Oct 21 08:32:15 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

   [Snip]

> Actually I think the issue is that XVID is incompliant with mpeg4,
> probably using packed B frames or something idiotic like that..
> Anyway, never use CODEC_FLAG_TRUNCATED with avi or any other frame
> based container.

   I am using this because it was in the example program on which I
based my media player, and it was never sufficiently explained (like a
lot of things in FFMPEG) what it is and exactly when it is needed.

   This issue seems like the AVFrame->pts issue in that it is a bit of a
mystery to most people and aguably shouldn't be there anyway, as all
containers and codecs should work in the same way, from the user's point
of view.  ie.  It shouldn't matter if the codec is handling packet
boundaries or how it is calculating the pts.  It should "just work."

   So the great question is: If I have a media player that plays AVI,
MPEG, MOV, MP3 and OGG files, how do I know when this flag should be on
and when it shouldn't?

[Hitman/Code HQ - 6502/z80/68000/604e/80x86/ARM coder - Amiga rulez!]
[VZ-200/VIC-20/MZ-700/c16/c64*10/c128*8/Plus-4/CPC464/CD32/500*2    ]
[600/1000/1200*2/A4000/SNES/N64/Dreamcast/Athlon 1100/AmigaOne      ]
[Assembly Language: The most fun you can have with your clothes on! ]