[Ffmpeg-devel] OS/X - undefined symbols due to strip'd shared libs

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Oct 24 11:41:08 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:21:35AM +0200, Joeri van Oostveen wrote:
> well maybe, I can't get any software to compile which needs the ffmpeg
> as a shared library...
> I think I forgot to mention I'm running MacOS X 10.4.2.
>
> The software I'm trying to compile is:
> ffmpeg-php (a php extension for interfacing with ffmpeg)
> or php itself, with the option ffmpeg=yes :)
>
> I got my info from this site:
> http://ffmpeg-php.sourceforge.net/

I repeat: I believe the problem lies within that project and not within
FFmpeg.  Let's look at the output you pasted again..

> > On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 10:17:44PM +0200, Joeri van Oostveen wrote:
> > > Being a big noob at this compiling stuff, how do I compile the ffmpeg
> > > as a shared library?
> > > I tried adding --enable-shared in the ./configure, make and make
> > > install, but when I compile some other software (php) which needs the
> > > ffmpeg, I keep getting this message:
> > > checking for ffmpeg libavcodec.so... configure: error: ffmpeg share
> > > libraries not found. Make sure you've built ffmpeg as shared libs
> > > using the --enable-shared option

On Mac OS X shared libraries have a .dylib and not .so extension.  Maybe
that project is not properly ported to Mac OS X?  It would not really
surprise me if it wasn't since I only committed a patch that implemented
shared library support on OS X a few weeks ago.

Diego

P.S.: Please don't top-post.