[Ffmpeg-devel] AVOptions

Gary Corcoran gcorcoran
Tue Sep 13 21:54:29 CEST 2005

Dario Andrade wrote:
>>The point was that you can't use strcasecmp, because setlocale can
>>
>>>break it.
>>
>>It could, but AFAIK all commonly used encodings are ASCII compatible.
>>Things like UTF-16 are rarely used.
>

> UTF8 is becoming pretty popular in Java.

7-bit ASCII is completely compatible with UTF8.  UTF8 was designed
with compatibility in mind, so that existing (ASCII) text strings
would automatically "be" UTF8 - i.e. no conversion needed.

> But sincerely, I don?t undertand why option keys can't just be enforced as
> ascii 7-bit clean?

I also don't see any reason why they can't simply be 7-bit ASCII,
otherwise known as IRA - the International Reference Alphabet.
Also note that the ISO 8859-x character sets (locales?) are
(as far as I recall) compatible in the first 128 characters
with IRA/ASCII.

Gary