[Ffmpeg-devel] AVOptions

François Revol revol
Wed Sep 14 09:24:41 CEST 2005

> >> UTF-8 is becoming popular in many places.  Java uses utf-16
> >> internally, well in line with all the other absurd things it does.
> >
> > BeOS has been using UTF-8 by default everywhere for years...
>
> That's of course good.  I've also been using utf-8 for quite a while
> in Linux.  The problem is when people insist on sending mail (usually
> with ms outlook) with the wrong encoding specified in the headers.
> Similarly with web pages, ID3 tags, etc.

Well, for web & mail there is an encoding information so you can always
convert it.
The problem is with thing like ID3 which doesn't tell which encoding it
uses  (AFAIK). Same with shoutcasts servers... most of the time it's
iso-latin-1 because they run on european/us NT servers, but I already
saw other encoding, and no way of guessing them (except with
statistical
methods like Emacs does when opening a file but that's overly complex
and not 100% safe).

Fran?ois.