[Ffmpeg-devel] [REQUEST] MMX/MMX2 and SSE optimizations for H.264 decoding

Gamester17 gamester17
Wed Sep 14 15:34:55 CEST 2005

Hi, I'm not a developer myself but I like to make a suggestion if that's
possible?

I have a Intel PIII CPU and I like to request MMX/MMX2 and SSE optimizations
for H.264/AVC decoding on behalf of everyone with a x86 processor that
supports MMX/MMX2 and SSE; Please, if you are a programmer with C and
Assembly experience then please consider programming some MMX, MMX2 and/or
SSE optimization to the H.264/AVC decoder (and demuxer) in
libavcodec/libavformat (FFmpeg) for decoding on x86 processors (like Intel
Pentium III x86 CPU in desktops and laptops), ...that way people with a
slower processor can also enjoy smooth playback of H.264/AVC files in full
quality, (and since many open source multimedia projects use FFmpeg as their
main decoder library this will benefit a lot of people).

Again I'm not a programmer but I tried researching and found these
sites/docs:
The Aggregate Magic Algorithms - Efficient low-level optimization
programming for x86 processors
    http://www.aggregate.org/MAGIC/
Intel Architecture Optimization Reference Manual  - x86-oriented (including
MMX, SSE, and SSE2)
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumII/manuals/24512701.pdf
Paul Hsieh's Assembly Language Pages - x86 optimisations (mostly MMX
related)
    http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/asm.html
Wolfram Research - An extensive mathematics resource
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com
Platonic Realms - Interactive Mathematics Encyclopedia (and more)
    http://www.mathacademy.com/platonic_realms/Platohom.html
Visual Dictionary of Special Plane Curves (inc. good links to other math
sites)
    http://www.best.com/~xah/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/specialPlaneCurves.html
The Geometry Junkyard - A large collection of math related stuff
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/junkyard

Thanks in advance on behalf of all PIII owners that can't afford to upgrade.

PS! Personally I'm a Xbox owner too which I use for video playback with
XBMC,
(Xbox has a Intel Pentium III 733Mhz CPU, and XBMC used FFmpeg decoders).