[Ffmpeg-devel] Macromedia Flash 8

Mike Melanson mike
Mon Sep 19 15:53:50 CEST 2005

Colin Ward wrote:
>   Are VP5 and VP6 codecs developed by On2, which have been used in
> Flash  as well as elsewhere?

	Not sure how to completely parse this question, but I'll try:

* VP5 and VP6 are developed by On2, yes.
* On2 works feverishly to find niche markets that will pay for their
codecs. They are not especially widespread on the internet.

>> For my part, I am busy investigating VC-1/WMV3 support right now.
>

>   Could I trouble you to give a quick rundown on this?  I took a look
> around the Internet to try and find some information on the various M$
> codecs but it's a little confusing.  Is WMV3 a really old format or do
> the number systems used by M$ codecs and file formats just not make much
> sense?

	WMV3 is the hottest thing going in the Windows Media camp. It is also
known as WMV9 and is also soon to be known as VC-1 or VC-9 and is part
of the upcoming (so they say) HD-DVD standard (as opposed to Sony's
Blu-Ray which is supposed to support stock H.264).

--
	-Mike Melanson